Whiff of Phenol Spells Trouble – ProPublica

It was 1989 and workers for the Aristech Chemical Corp. had begun drilling a disposal well for dangerous, chemical-laden waste from the company’s acetone manufacturing plant in Haverhill.

But the phenol – a deadly chemical used in Aristech’s processes that is known to cause internal burns, muscle spasms and organ failure – indicated that something might have gone wrong.

A leak would mean that even injection wells subject to the strictest regulations might not be as safe as scientists thought.

Read the full story Whiff of Phenol Spells Trouble – ProPublica.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.