- Beren Argetsinger, The Marcellus Shale: Bridge to a Clean Energy Future or Bridge to Nowhere? Environmental, Energy and Climate Policy Considerations for Shale Gas Development in New York State, 29 Pace Envtl. L. Rev. 321 (2011)
- Bamberger and Oswald, Impacts of Gas Drilling on Human and Animal Health (2012)
- Clougherty, Jane E.: Addressing combined effects of air pollution and social stressors exposures on health in communities affected by natural gas fracturing (presentation at U of Pittsburgh, 19-Nov-2010)
- Columbia Law School/Center for Constitutional Rights: Letter to the Human Rights Council Identifying Substantial Deficiencies in Monitoring and Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing in the United States
- Community Science Institute: Documenting Contamination of Private Water Supplies by Gas Well Drilling in New York State
- Conserveland.org: Marcellus Shale Drillers in Pennsylvania Amass 1614 Violations since 2008
- Earthworks: Hydraulic Fracturing 101
- Earthworks: Marcellus Shale Formation Report 08
- Earthworks: The Oil and Gas Industry’s Exclusions and Exemptions to Major Environmental Statutes
- Earthworks: Our Drinking Water at Risk: What EPA and the Oil and Gas Industry Don’t Want Us to Know About Hydraulic Fracturing
- The Endocrine Disruption Exchange: Chemicals in Natural Gas Operations (Includes a 45-minute video and summaries by state of health effects)
- The Earth Institute (Columbia University) Urban Design Lab: Hancock and the Marcellus Shale: Gas Extraction Along the Upper Delaware
- Environmental Science & Technology: Natural Gas Plays in the Marcellus Shale: Challenges and Potential Opportunities
- Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commissions: 1994 Review of NY State gas exploration and production waste management regulatory programs
- Fordham Environmental Law Review: Untested Waters: The Rise of Hydraulic Fracturing in Oil and Gas Production and the Need to Revisit Regulation (Use the “One-Click Download” link to get the full text)
- Howarth, Santoro, Ingrafia: Methane and the greenhouse-gas footprint of natural gas from shale formation. 2011
- “List of the Harmed” compiled by the Pennsylvania Alliance for Clean Water and Air
- National Resources Defense Council: Drilling Down: Protecting Western Communities from the Health and Environmental Effects of Oil and Gas Production
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection: Geophysical Evaluation of Infrastructure Risks of Natural Gas Production On New York City West of Hudson (WOH) Water Supply Infrastructure (December 2011)
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection: Natural Gas Drilling in Marcellus Shale
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection: Final Impact Assessment Report
- New York Times Drilling Down Series
- Osborn et al: Methane contamination of drinking water accompanying gas-well drilling and hydraulic fracturing
- Otsego 2000: The Unique Environmental Impacts of Horizontally Hydrofracking Shale
- Otsego 2000: New York State Regulations for Oil and Gas Compared to Other States
- Otsego 2000: Comments on the Scope of the EPA’s Proposed Study of Hydraulic Fracturing by Paul A. Rubin
- Otsego 2000: Otsego 2000 Comments on the EPA Hydrofracking Study by Nicole Dillingham
- Otsego 2000: Radioactive Waste from Horizontal Hydrofracking by James L. “Chip” Northrup
- Resnikoff, Marvin: Radon in Natural Gas from Marcellus Shale (January, 2012)
- RiverKeeper: Fractured Communities: Case Studies of the Environmental Impacts of Industrial Gas Drilling
- Scientific American: “The Evolving Truth about Fracking for Natural Gas“.
- University of Pittsburgh – Simona Perry PhD: It’s like we’re losing our love: Documenting and Evaluating Social Change in Bradford County, PA during the Marcellus Shale Gas Boom (2009-2011)
- US House of Representatives: Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing (April 2011) ￼￼
- Catskill Citizens for Safe Energy
- Clean Water not Dirty Drilling
- Coalition to Protect New York
- The Daily Frack
- Damascus Citizens for Sustainability
- Fracking Resource Guide
- FracTracker – Marcellus Shale Data Tracking
- Gas Drilling Awareness for Cortland County NY
- Gasland the Movie
- Marcellus Shale Protest
- The Meredith Landowners Coalition
- New Yorkers Against Fracking
- Otsego 2000
- Protecting Our Waters (PA)
- Sane Energy Project
- Shaleshock Media
- Sustainable Otsego
- Think Before you Frack
- Catskill Mountainkeeper
- Environmental Advocates of New York
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
- Pipeline Safety Trust
- River Keepers — Start here for the NYC watershed.
- Sierra Club
Lists & Groups
Each list or group has its own membership policy. Visit the below links to find out more. Most online groups offer the ability to receive updates via email immediately or in daily digests.
- Citizens Concerned about Natural Gas Drilling collects information local residents can use to inform themselves about drilling and to coordinate community involvement around these issues.
- Dryden Resource Awareness Coalition, a group of local residents from Dryden, NY, who are concerned about the impacts that hydraulic fracturing and natural gas extraction.
- Environmental Work Group of Central New York, a group of residents in Central New York concerned with the health and welfare of the environment.
- New York Well Watch Forum, share information, announce local meetings, and foster open, respectful discussion about the Marcellus Shale gas drilling in the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier communities.
- NYH2O (invitation only).
- NYRAD: NY Residents Against Drilling is a grassroots network of local residents who are opposed to unsafe gas development in New York State.
- Shaleshock Citizens Action Alliance, a grassroots group of Finger Lakes residents who are concerned with understanding and protecting our communities and environment from exploitation by the energy industry with regards to drilling for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale.
- Shaleshock CNY, part of the Shaleshock Action Alliance, a movement that works toward protecting our communities and environment from exploitative gas drilling in the Marcellus and Utica Shale regions.
- SusquehannaCoGasForum, a general discussion and information forum for expanded public knowledge and involvement on the topic of natural gas drilling in Susquehanna County, PA.
- Sustainable Otsego, a working group dedicated to promoting sustainable practices in Otsego county, NY.